Francesca Alice Vianello (Ph.D.) is Associate professor in Sociology of Work at University of Padua (Italy). Her main areas of research and teaching are migration, work and gender and health. In particular, she is interested in global care chains, care work and occupational health. Currently she is carrying out a field research on care homes and labour turnover and she is taking part in a research project on RELEASE – Rete Legale Anti Sfruttamento (Legal network against exploitation) directed by Prefettura di Treviso.
She carried out as PI the research project “Migration and Occupational Health: Understanding the Risks for Eastern European Migrant Women” financed by the University of Padova after which several articles and a book were published.
She participated to different research projects in the field of migration studies adopting the “engendering migration theory”. Specifically, she was Scientific Responsible for the Research Unit of Padova for the project financed by the European Commission “Towards shared interests between migrant and local workers”. She conducted a study on unemployed migrant workers from Morocco and Romania and an investigation on everyday life strategies of Ukrainian, Moldovan and Romanian migrant families across borders. Furthermore, she cooperated with the National research project “Conditions for recognition. Gender, Migrations, Social Spaces” (PRIN 2009) and with the Daphne European Commission Project “Speak Out! Empowering Migrant, Refugee and Ethnic Minority Women against Gender Violence in Europe” both of them directed by Franca Bimbi.
For her Ph.D. dissertation she did a multi-local ethnography on the migratory practices and meaning of Ukrainian women and their transnational social networks. This study gave the way to one book and several essays in Italian and English cited in international publications. Results from her other researches have been discussed and published in Italian, English and Spanish in several journal articles, book chapters and edited volumes.
- Gabriella Alberti, Sacchetto Devi, Vianello Francesca Alice, Spazio e tempo nei processi produttivi e riproduttivi , Sociologia del Lavoro, 146, 2017, pp. 7-23.
- Sacchetto Devi, Vianello Francesca Alice, Andrijasevic Rutvica, Introduzione. Le migrazioni lavorative intra-UE: modelli, pratiche e traiettorie di mobilità dei cittadini europei Mondi Migranti, 3, 2016.
- Vianello Francesca Alice, Sacchetto Devi, Migrant workers’ routes to the informal economy during the economic crisis: structural constraints and subjective motivations , Prakseologia, 158/1: 299-322, 2016.
- Escrivà Angeles, Vianello Francesca Alice, Late-career international migration and reproductive work. A comparison between Peruvian and Ukrainian women in the Southern Europe, Investigaciones Feministas, 7(1), 2016.
- Sacchetto Devi, Vianello Francesca Alice, Benvegnù Carlotta, Iannuzzi Francesco Eugenio, Exploitation and migrant workers’ struggles in the Italian logistics and tourism sectors , Prague, 2016.
- Sacchetto Devi, Vianello Francesca Alice, Donne migranti e organizzazioni sindacali nella crisi , Sociologia del Lavoro, 140, 2015: 159-172.
- Vianello Francesca Alice, International migrations and care provisions for elderly people left behind. The cases of the Republic of Moldova and Romania. European Journal of Social Work, DOI: 10.1080/13691457.2015.1085367, 2015.
- Vianello Francesca Alice, Las migraciones internacionales y la reorganización de los cuidados. Los casos de República de Moldavia, Rumanía y Ucrania , Migraciones, 38, 2015: 61-86.
- Sacchetto Devi, Vianello Francesca Alice, Unemployed Migrants Coping with the Economic Crisis. Romanians and Moroccans in Italy , Journal of International Migration and Integration, DOI: 10.1007/s12134-015-0440-2, 2015.
- Vianello Francesca Alice, Ukrainian Migrant Workers in Italy: Coping with and Reacting to Downward Mobility , Central and Eastern European Migration Review, 3(1), 2014.
- Vianello Francesca Alice, Genere e migrazioni. Prospettive di studio e di ricerca , Guerini e Associati, Milano, 2014.
- Vianello Francesca Alice, Ukrainian migrant women’s social remittances: Contents and effects on families left behind , Migration Letters, 10(1), 2013.
- Vianello Francesca Alice, Engendering migration. Un percorso attraverso trent’anni di dibattito, Mondi Migranti, 3, DOI: 10.3280/MM2013-003003, 2013.
- Sacchetto Devi, Vianello Francesca Alice, (a cura di) , Navigando a Vista. Migranti nella crisi economica tra lavoro e disoccupazione. Franco Angeli, Milano, 2013.
- Sacchetto Devi, Vianello Francesca Alice, Crisi economica e migranti: il ritorno del lavoratore povero, Mondi Migranti, n. 1, 2013: 79-100
- Vianello Francesca Alice, Continuità e confini tra vita pubblica e vita privata. La doppia presenza delle assistenti familiari , Aboutgender, 1(2), 2012.
- Vianello Francesca Alice, Migrando sole. Legami transnazionali tra Ucraina e Italia , Franco Angeli, Milano, 2009.